Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Book Bug!

So after a year hiatus from even desiring to read a book the craving has come back. I'm not sure what happened for a year but I blame it on eight years of seminary. I read books, but only what I had to read for work and ordination stuff. I have three books I'm into now and one on the back burner.

The Hole in Our Gospel, by Richard Stearns: Richard is the President of World Vision. He is discussing the dissonance between a confessional Gospel that does not lead to Christian action. I'm only into the first chapter but so far he has shared his story of moving over from a prominent CEO position to become the president of World Vision. He is also describing a great need within our world that affluent Christians are able to hide from in the US.

Walking on Water, by Anthony De Mello: My mentor gave me this book and I am reading it with Brandon, my accountability partner. It's an awesome book that I want to read much faster but I told Brandon we'd read a chapter a week:) It's written by Anthony who was (deceased) an Indian (India) Christian spiritualist. He presents a Christian message through stories within other faith traditions. He is also focusing on the importance of meditation . . . so far.

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker, M.D.: I started this book a long, long time ago but just recently had the gumption to pick it back up. I'm just a few chapters from finishing now. It's a great book about (you guessed it) fathers, raising daughters. Meg has some great insight as a counselor/doctor. I'll need to read it again in seven years.

Crazy Love, by Francis Chan: My wife's step-sister gave me this book for Christmas. It appears to be on the best seller lists (Christian and secular). It's on the back burner and next in line when I finish "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters".

So, you reading anything interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment